2015-12-25

Tradition



With that out of the way, when I am finally able to move forward and begin making my own traditions with my own family, there are 2 that we absolutely must retain.

First is breakfast that includes egg strata with croissants.


For a very long time (like until I was 12 or 13), I was absolutely convinced that I hated it, because I'm not a huge fan of eggs.  That is until I actually tried it, of course.  Now, it's the highlight of the holidays.   It's a simple dish, but to me is the very definition of comfort food.  We can add anything and everything else to the menu for all I care, but as long as strata is on the menu, it will be a proper christmas.

The second is the traditional rearranging of the blocks.  My family has a set of blocks that spell out "Merry Christmas."

(I apologize for the poor quality of the picture, I was attempting to surreptitiously take a before shot in light that wasn't ideal)

Here's the after:


This is ideally to be performed by one of the children, without the knowledge of the parents.  Parents may revert, but the child is then obligated to change it back at the first opportunity.

One year we spent christmas at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Manlius.   They have a similar set of blocks, so they were switched as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.